Senior Programmer Developer I
Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company is an “A” rated property & casualty insurance company and has been recognized as one of the top 50 in the nation by The Ward Group. We are seeking an experienced Senior Programmer/Developer to join our innovative and talented team of IT Professionals.
This is a remote position and requires high speed cable/DSL internet and a home office space. Midwest Family has maintained a remote work environment since 2006 with no intentions of bringing employees back into a physical office
The Senior Programmers role is to write, code, test, and analyze IT Help Desk items, software programs and applications. This includes researching, designing, documenting, and modifying software specifications throughout the production life cycle. Additionally, this role includes end-user training / consultation, data fix analysis / resolution and Help documentation. The Senior Programmer will also be involved in the daily monitoring, maintenance and execution of products and processes that necessary to the everyday functions of the company.
This individual will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate and resolve systems issues, implement new features and products as well as interact with all levels of users in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments.
Qualified candidate must have 8+ years equivalent work experience.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications or described deficiency/bug.
- Run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
- Generate statistics, prepare, and write reports for management and/or team members on the status of the programming process.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of user manuals and guidelines.
- Install software products for end users as required.
- Write programming scripts to enhance functionality and/or appearance of company Web sit e and/or related Web applications as necessary.
- Liaise with network administrators, systems analysts, and software engineers to assist in resolving problems with software products or company software systems.
- Run and monitor products and processes that are necessary for the everyday function of the company.
IT Help Desk / Product Maintenance
- Provide technical assistance and support for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, and hardware.
- Direct and consult with other staff on IT Help Desk and Product Maintenance work.
- Coordinate scheduled promotes with Development and R&D Teams.
- Write training manuals, procedural guidelines, product detail overviews.
- Maintain daily performance of computer systems.
- Ask questions to determine nature of problem and walk users through problem-solving process.
- Follow up with users to ensure issue has been resolved.
Strategy & Planning
- Assist developers, analysts, and designers in conceptualizing and development of new / amended software programs and applications.
- Assist in the preparation and documentation of program requirements and specifications.
- Research and document requirements of program users.
Qualifications and Skills:
Education & Certification
- College degree, AAS degree or Programming Certification.
- 8+ years equivalent work experience preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
- Proven experience in leading/overseeing full stack design, development, and implementation of software and hardware solutions, systems, or products.
- Extensive database and operating systems experience with Oracle and SQL Server including SQL Developer and Golden, PL/SQL, SQL, DML, DDL.
- Thorough understanding of platforms such as Windows 2008, 2012, 2016 Server including configuration and management of web services, containers and websites.
- Solid working knowledge of current Internet technologies, including XML & JSON, ASP.NET, MVC, Web Services.
- Experience with Umbraco web configuration management tools and implementation maintenance.
- Hands-on software troubleshooting experience.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Working knowledge of Jira and TFS 2010, TFS 2017, Git and GitLab for change management and source control. Visual Studio 2010, 2017, 2019.
- Experience with Docker container management.
- Experience in build management, gated check-ins, automated deploys including Automise and CICD Pipeline.
- Flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and understanding new technologies.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into software-related issues and products.
- Highly logical.
- Technically proficient.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Remote work environment. This position may require at least two weeks’ training at a Midwest Family location.
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines, support production, conduct maintenance during non-business hours and monitor system processes.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices.
- Some travel will be required for the purpose of off-site software training and team meetings.
- Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings.
- Occasional lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
Midwest Family Mutual offers a competitive salary along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical (HDHP)
- Health Savings Account with employer contributions
- Wellness Incentives
- Vision (materials only plan)
- Flexible Spending – Medical, Limited FSA (Dental/Vision), and Dependent Care
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Employer Paid Life Insurance (2x annual salary) including dependent coverage
- Employee and Dependent Life Insurance Plan Options
- Accident, Hospital Indemnity and Critical Illness Plan Options
- LifeLock Identity Protection Plan Options
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays (eight per year)
- Paid time off for CE
- Eight hours of paid time off per year for volunteer work
- Employer matching for employee 501c donations (limited)
Retirement Benefits include:
- 401K and Roth 401K with company match
- Employer Paid Defined Benefit Pension Plan