Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company is an “A” rated property & casualty insurance company and has been recognized as one of the top 50 in the nation by The Ward Group. We are seeking an experienced Commercial and Personal Lines Underwriter to join our team. Qualified candidate must have 3 or more years of Commercial Underwriting experience.
This is a work from home position that will require high speed cable/DSL internet access, home office, and minimal travel into the office as requested. Midwest Family has maintained a remote work from home environment since 2006 with no intentions of bringing employees back into a physical office.
The underwriter’s responsibility includes growing and maintaining relationships with Independent Agents while underwriting a territory of both commercial and personal lines accounts. This will include completing an overall risk evaluation for the review and quoting of new business opportunities, renewal reviews, endorsement requests, inspection reviews and negotiating terms.
Candidates should have knowledge of the following underwriting functions:
- Risk Selection
- Classification and Rating
- Policy forms
- Retention and Reinsurance
Other requirements include, but not limited to:
- 3+years of property/casualty experience required.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of personal and commercial lines preferred.
- Understanding of coverage forms and endorsements and how they apply.
- Excellent organization and analytical skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Completing tasks within company guidelines and standards.
- Ability to work independently with excellent time management skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, good keyboarding and technology skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Responsible for complying with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- CPCU, AU designation or other insurance education preferred.
- College Degree is a plus.
Midwest Family Mutual offers a competitive salary, internet reimbursement, an excellent benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Health Savings, Flexible Spending, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, including robust retirement plans with 401k/Roth 401k with company match and a Defined Benefit Pension Plan.